Carbon monoxide gas has no odor, taste, or color. What it does have is the ability to cause you and your family grave illness, or even death. According to the CDC, each year more than 400 Americans die from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning that is not linked to fires, and more than 20,000 people visit the emergency room each year suffering from its effects. Carbon monoxide comes from the burning exhaust of fuels such as oil, wood, coal, and natural or propane gas and a leak occurs or there is poor ventilation. Portable generators, your vehicles, gas appliances, furnaces, and your fireplace are all common culprits of carbon monoxide buildup in the home. Because many people rely on portable generators for heat after a winter storm power outage, it is not surprising that most portable generator-related carbon monoxide deaths occur in homes during colder months.